A Brief History
The Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation—OBSN for short—is a small Indian community located primarily in the old settlement of Little Texas…
OBSN Mission Statement
VISION STATEMENT: Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation will be a unified and self-reliant tribe…
Prior to 1676, we know the Occaneechi, Saponi, and Tutelo lived on an island in Roanoke River near Clarksville, Virginia, on the Great Trading Path.
Occaneechi Homeland Preservation Project: Bringing the Past and Future Together
Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation
In August 2002, the Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation embarked on an ambitious project; to begin buying back a portion of its ancestral lands in the “Little Texas” Community of NE Alamance County, North Carolina. This was called the Occaneechi Homeland Preservation Project.
For the first time in over 250 years, the Occaneechi own land again as a Tribe, to be used for economic development for the tribal community, as well as for tribal administrative offices.Read more…
Click on vendor application the application will open. The application can be emailed or mailed. Any questions please give Vickie a call at 336-421-1317.
Support The Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation when
you shop at smile.amazon.com. Amazon donates.
Electrical Update Campaign
WE DID IT!! We now have the funds to update the electrician system at the Tribal Center. This was made possible by your generous donations. The electrician is scheduled to go out today and get the repairs started.
We invite you to come out to the Tribal Center and visit with us. Enjoy the mini-museum that tells the history of the Occaneechi Saponi and browse the beautiful artifacts on display. We will be looking for you.
Again, thanks to everyone for your support!
Vickie, Tribal Administrator
2017 OBSN Tribal Council Meeting Schedule
Tribal Council Meetings – 2nd Thursday of the Month – 6:30pm
Location: 4902 Daily Store Road – Burlington, NC 27217
(Unless otherwise posted)
January 19th, 2017 (Rescheduled due to weather)
February 9th, 2017
March 9th, 2017
April 13th, 2017
May 11th, 2017
√June (No Tribal Council Meeting)
July 13th, 2017
August 10th, 2017
September 14th, 2017
October 12th, 2017
November 9th, 2017
December (No Meeting – Enjoy the Holidays)
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!!
OBSN TALKING CIRCLES/TBA
SPIRIT OF THE DANCE POW-WOW June 10 & 11, 2017
We will keep you updating!
1 Acorn squash or 2 depending on size
- 2 eggs
- White sugar
- 1 12oz can of evaporated milk
- Ground ginger
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
- Vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked 9″ pie shell
Just in time for the holidays!
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Put your acorn squash on a pan face down.
- Cook it for an hour or until it’s easy to poke with a fork.
- Pull it out and allow it to cool.
- Once the squash has cooled, scoop out the contents and measure two cups of the squash. Put it in a mixing bowl. It’s important it’s cooled all the way so you don’t scramble the eggs your about to add.
- Add the eggs.
- Add 3/4 Cup of sugar.
- Add the entire contents of the evaporated milk.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of ginger.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of cloves.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Now beat the ingredients until all are combined.
- Pour into your unbaked pie shell.
- Cook for 55-65 minutes.
- Take it out and let it cool completely.